Most us feel some level of anxiety when preparing for a visit to see our dentist. For some this anxiety can be so great it can stop them visiting all together.
We want you to know that we understand this and we all have to be patients from time to time so we work hard to make your visit as pleasant and as relaxed as possible.
How do we do this?
- We have a friendly team who answer the telephone with a welcoming manner and do their best to help
- Our team also welcome you into the practice and look after you quickly and with a caring manner
- We make our surroundings as relaxed as possible with comfortable seats and interesting reading material
- We also think about the smell of our practice and eliminate that “dentist” smell that often brings out our anxieties.
- By keeping you informed at every stage, if we are running late or problems arise during the day
- By involving you in your care from the very beginning. We believe you should have choices and we should offer solutions and together we will discuss all the pros and cons
- By explaining costings and offering easy ways to spread payments
We think you will find that our friendly team and relaxed environment will help most of your anxieties melt away.
Sometimes though, some patients have severe anxiety and even phobias. These can occasionally be managed with hypnotic type techniques but they can at other times require a more involved management. These patients may require medication to help them relax for their treatment.
We are fortunate to have the ability to offer sedation to our patients if necessary.
What is Dental Sedation?
For our dental sedation, we use a medicine called Midazolam, which is administered via a gentle injection in the back of your hand or in your arm. The dose will depend on each individual’s need. You will become drowsy and unaware of treatment and this will allow you to not remember the treatment afterwards.
Sedation is also useful for patients who aren’t necessarily anxious but who are undergoing procedures such as dental implants that may take longer.
Before we can offer you sedation, we do need to carry out a free of charge consultation to see if you are suitable for sedation, as there are some health issues that may contraindicate its use.
We would advise that you are accompanied to your sedation treatment appointment as you will not be able to drive for a short period afterwards. It is highly advisable to make sure that you take the rest of the day off as you will feel sleepy until the medicine starts to wear off.
Improved Dental Health?
We find that having sedation is a great way to get your dental health back on track and in time actually reduces anxiety to such an extent that patients can consider treatments without sedation in the future.
We look forward to welcoming you to Barrington Dental Care soon.